Growing Your Membership by Doing Things That Don’t Scale
The “one to many” aspect of a membership site is what makes it such an attractive business model.
The ability to leverage your time, skills, experience and expertise in order to serve hundreds or even thousands – without having to deal with issues of increased expenses, strained resources or limited capacity that can come when trying to grow other types of businesses – make memberships one of the most scalable models there is.
However sometimes in order to get to the next level, you need to do a few things that don’t scale too well…
- How to add a personal touch to your membership without spreading yourself too thin
- Times where offering a “done for you” or “done with you” service may actually benefit your membership as a whole
- The value of taking your community offline and organising real world meetups
- The biggest challenge in selling a membership, and the specific tactic that works best for overcoming it
“Because memberships are one to many, they are also one of the most scalable business models around as there’s not typically a per user cost in terms of money or resources. Your expenses for your membership usually don’t scale in proportion to your membership numbers. If you doubled your number of members today, it probably wouldn’t double your costs.“
“It is down to you to really examine the member journey. Think about points at which a little bit of manual, personal intervention from you would make a massive difference and would really move the needle, versus just letting people figure things out and muddle through on their own.”
“Member meetups are a great way of not only bringing members together and having a little bit of fun, but also helping them to build and strengthen relationships with each other. Community is crucial. If you can help speed up those connections and build those relationships between your members, then they’re more likely to be supportive and help each other out inside your community.”
Enjoyed this episode? Check these out…
- 8 Simple Ways to Add a Personal Touch to your Membership
- Using Video to Add a Personal Touch to Your Membership Site
- Taking Your Membership Offline for Increased Success
- Creative Ways to Improve Your Member Experience with Andrew and Pete
Thank You For Listening
We really appreciate you chosing to listen to us and for supporting the podcast. If you enjoyed today's show, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
We would also be eternally grateful if you would consider taking a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the show in iTunes. They're extremely helpful when it comes to reaching our audience and we read each and every one personally!
Finally, don't forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode