5 Biggest Risks Facing Membership Site Owners Right Now
There’s an element of risk involved with every type of business.
However when it comes to membership sites there are a few things in particular that you want to pay special attention to.
In this episode of The Membership Guys Podcast – I look at 5 of the biggest risks membership owners need to be aware of and give my top tips for pre-empting and preventing problems.
- How some membership owners are building on borrowed land, and what problems this may cause in the long run
- Tips for keeping your membership secure and minimising the risk of your site being hacked
- Protecting your intellectual property and your membership content
- How your particular membership model and strategy could be leaving you wide open
“Usually you’ll get no notice if Facebook’s going to shut your group down. They’ll just do it. We’ve heard of people who have lost groups that had over 20,000 people in them. They just disappeared with no notice, for no discernible reason, overnight. Even if there was a notice period, there’s no way of exporting your members list or your content or anything like that out of your Facebook group so that you can attempt to rebuild it. That’s a risk of building on borrowed land.“
“Because WordPress is the most popular and most used content management system, it’s a bigger target than other software. You need to stay diligent, have good security practises, always making sure that you keep WordPress up to date, that you keep your plug-ins up to date, that you keep your plug-ins to a minimum so you don’t have anything installed unless it’s absolutely necessary, and that you make sure your plug-ins are from reputable, legit sources.”
“Don’t punish your good members because you’re scared of the risk of a tiny little chance that someone will come in, download and then illegally share your stuff. You need to get that balance. If somebody wants to steal your content and rip you off, they’ll find a way of doing it.”
If you liked this, you’ll really dig these:
- Why Your Membership Website NEEDS More Than Just Content
- How to Prevent Hit and Run Members
- Dealing With the Ugly Side of Running a Membership Website
- Tackling the 6 Biggest Challenges Every New Membership Owner Faces
Thank You For Listening
We really appreciate you chosing to listen to us and for supporting the podcast. If you enjoyed today's show, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
We would also be eternally grateful if you would consider taking a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the show in iTunes. They're extremely helpful when it comes to reaching our audience and we read each and every one personally!
Finally, don't forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode