The Accidental Membership That Became a Six Figure Success with Caylee Grey
“Fairy art mother” Caylee Grey joins Callie on this episode of Behind the Membership to talk all about her art journaling membership, Get Messy Art. Caylee’s membership journey is actually a little different to most, as the membership was started accidentally as a result of a personal project rather than being the goal from the start.
However, it’s safe to say it was a great accident as the membership is now four years old and has flourished, creating an amazing business for Caylee that has allowed her to quit her job and achieve more freedom than she previously thought possible.
In this episode, Caylee discusses how she makes use of seasonal themes for her content, and is currently testing out the closed door model to only let new members in at the start of each new season. As well as how she utilises the experiences of guest teachers and members to help with content creation.
And Caylee also talks about how she focuses on making the membership action driven, and how she nutures members and provides the space for them to connect and engage with each other on a deeper level. Plus the challenges she has had along the way, and much, much more besides!
Listen in to hear about:
- How the membership started with a personal challenge that Caylee and her best friend set for themselves, and how it ended up with them both quitting their jobs to run the site full time a year later
- How Caylee is on a mission to help 10,000 artists nurture their creative practice regularly
- Creating the first paid offer and expecting 50 people to sign up but getting 500 instead!
- How Caylee releases themed membership content in two month ‘seasons’ and is testing only letting new members join the week before the next season starts
- Previously running separate classes and having other teachers and staff, but now focusing solely on the membership
- Changing the technology that the membership has used over the years and how the site has evolved
- The challenge of marketing and how 80% of members come through word of mouth and Instagram
- Focusing on making the membership practical and actionable and encouraging members to take action daily
- How Caylee nurtures the community, combining forums, Facebook group and a permanently open Zoom room for members to hang out with each other live
- Utilising members and guest teachers to help with content creation for the site and how content is planned a year in advance
- And much more!
Connect with Caylee:
Plus you can talk with Caylee in real life at our upcoming Retain conference!
Thank You For Listening
We really appreciate you chosing to listen to us and for supporting the podcast. If you enjoyed today's show, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
We would also be eternally grateful if you would consider taking a minute or two to leave an honest review and rating for the show in iTunes. They're extremely helpful when it comes to reaching our audience and we read each and every one personally!
Finally, don't forget to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to make sure that you never miss an episode